The water-only fasting program is technically not an add-on program, but is an entity unto itself. This is because there is limited food intake for a period of time at the beginning and end of the water fast and of course, just water in-between.
Central to the benefits of fasting is a process called ‘autophagy’, which is the body’s natural process of killing off, and cleaning out toxic cell matter that’s built up in your body. It’s an important system for staving off many diseases, and may even include preventing cancer development according to the latest research.
In addition, but reduced autophagy (the state that most of our diets leaves us in) leads to accelerated cell aging, which explains why in numerous studies, restricting caloric intake significantly increased lifespan, even when that restriction was occasional (fasting every once in a while or intermittent fasting).
It doesn’t stop there. Autophagy also helps with the development and retention of lean muscle, and autophagy induced through caloric restriction also slows neurodegeneration and is one of the few things that can lead to the production of new brain cells. This research suggests that fasting can protect you against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinsons. This is also likely why epileptic and autistic people respond very well to fasting.
Periodic fasting helps with reducing chronic pains, rheumatic diseases, high blood pressure, and anything related to inflammation and can also improve insulin sensitivity.
Medical directors in various clinical environments use therapeutic water-only fasting and are responsible at least in part for the current interest in its role in the management of chronic diseases including obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and even cancer.
There is strong evidence gathered over many decades to show how water-only fasting can reduce excess fat and glucose in the blood, modulate the immune system, increase the effect of the mood and sleep-regulating neuro-transmitter serotonin, boost protein repair, and reduce inflammation.
After 2-3 days in water fasting, the body goes into a state called ketosis, where it begins to fuel itself internally by burning fat cells. Ketosis occurs around 48 hours for women and 72 hours for men according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, author of Fasting and Eating for Health.
Educating water-only fasters for a return to their normal routine – and an improved diet and lifestyle – is a crucial element to this program.
Dr. Jason Fung completed medical school and internal medicine at the University of Toronto before finishing his nephrology fellowship at the University of California, Los Angeles at the Cedars-Sinai hospital.
Preparing for The Water-only Fasting Program at Least the Week Before Your Visit
- Avoid all processed white flour and white sugar products, fried foods, coffee (if you get coffee withdrawal try homeopathic nux vomica), sodas, alcohol, cigarettes, all meat and dairy. Try to eat steamed veggies and vegetable soups, low sugar fruit (berries, cherries, apples etc. – no tropical fruit); absolutely abstain from junk foods.
- Do intermittent fasting. This means eat solid foods between 12 noon and 6 pm. Drink pure water anytime, at least 6 eight ounce glasses of water daily.
- Get enough sleep and rest (at least 8 hours).
- Have a 16 ounce glass of fresh pressed organic vegetable juice every day if possible.
You Must Be Preapproved for This Program by Dr. Randy. A Doctor’s Note May be Required for Moderate to Serious Illness. A Minimum Stay of 8-10 Days Is Required. The maximum number of days you can water-only fast is 7.
What You Get With The Water-only Fasting Program Add-on:
- Everything that is listed on our core Naturally Well Program — accommodations, classes, very light activity, one free spa service credit worth $100, etc. Spa services are not performed on the days you are doing your water-only fasting except Reiki and light-touch reflexology.
- Light food for the first day of your program, juicing for 2 days and then water-only fasting. Breaking the fast lightly for 2 days of juice and light foods, then at least one day on our regular program menu.
- Private 1/2 hour session with Dr. Randy at the beginning of your week and one at the end of your program. Monitoring 2x daily.
- Extra spa services: one 50 minute reflexology or Reiki session
- 1 follow-up phone call (30 minute) when you get home.