Creamy Leek Soup
Nothing says autumn like a hot bowl of comforting soup. This creamy vegan soup has a rich flavor from the slow sautéing of the leeks, onions and garlic. I substitute zucchini for potatoes in this recipe to keep it a low glycemic soup. It freezes well if there are any leftovers. As always, try to use as many organic vegetables when possible.
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, white parts only, sliced thin and rinsed well
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
Himalayan salt to taste
4 stalks celery, diced
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 Tbs. poultry seasoning
4 cups purified water
2 cups plain almond milk
3 Tbs. fresh chopped thyme
1. In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add leeks, onion, garlic and salt. Sauté, stirring frequently until onions become translucent. (About 8 minutes.)
2. Add celery, zucchini and poultry seasoning and sauté for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add purified water and cover and bring to a gently boil. Simmer until all vegetables are tender but not overcooked.
4. Turn off heat and add almond milk and stir well.
5. Pour soup into a high-speed blender and process to a creamy consistency.
6. Return soup to pot. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add fresh thyme and cracked pepper and serve immediately.
by Marian Tobin-Hardy